Total Pageviews

Friday, September 30, 2011

1958 "Cat on a hot tin roof" - The Avenue Theatre - Montreal QC

I was 17 years old at the time, we were living on Campbell in Greenfield Park QC. My uncle Herbie was newly married, he and his wife Pat invited me to go see "Cat on a hot tin roof" at the Avenue Theatre on Greene St. in Westmount.


It was late fall or early winter. I was excited to go out with them as we were not just relatives but friends, even with the age difference. Arrangements were made for me to meet them at the front entrance at 1224 Greene St. and after the show they would drive me home.


It was a cold evening and threatening to snow as I dressed up in my favorite cords and yellow v-neck sweater. When I came into the kitchen dad said "before you go son, could you bring the car battery in". At the time my dad was driving a 1952 Pontiac Catalina. I went out with the wrench, raised the hood and removed the battery and carried it into the kitchen.


Off I went to the Avenue Theatre to meet Herbie and Pat. I was as proud as punch, in those days the Avenue was "The Theatre" in Westmount a rather upscale town. We met up and went in to watch the movie. At intermission I went out to the lobby to have a smoke. As I stood with my back against the wall I noticed that all these Westmount snobs were dressed to the nines. But what really bother me was the fact that they kept staring at me. I thought " What is wrong with me"?? "Why are they staring"? I was really becoming self-conscious and decided to go back inside and sit down.


After the movie Pat, Herbie and I were walking to the car. It was snowing lightly and I was cold. There was wind hitting my crotch area and the snow flakes were wet against my legs. I looked down and my beautiful cords were full of holes .... battery acid had eaten them away... I guess all those snobs thought I was a bum from "The Main"



No comments:

Post a Comment