Total Pageviews

Tuesday, September 27, 2011

Toilet Troubles

In 1968 my parents decided to give Pat and I their house in Chateauguay. Dad had determined that he was no longer capable of taking care of the grounds and they would be better off in a flat.


Well, as some of you are aware, mom and dad had many foster children over the years. One young boy, Dougie, was autistic and had a fascination for toilets. He had knocked the toilet paper holder out of the wall and the flush mechanism was not functioning correctly. However with a little creative thought I was able to get it to flush..... most of the time.


For years Pat would get after me to buy the parts required to get the toilet in working condition and each time I informed her that it could not be done since the parts came from the States. This scenario went on for years. Then in 1976 we put the house up for sale. I went to the hardware and Lo and Behold they had what I needed to fix the toilet. Finally, Pat was tickled pink.


For years after whenever anyone would talk about their house troubles Pat would relate the difficulties of our toilet and that eventually the US made components were available in Canada.


Then in 1984 we were having supper at my bosses house when she started to tell the story of our American made toilet and the difficulties getting the parts when Sandy burst out laughing.... Pat wanted to know what was so funny..... Sandy said American Standard..... it has been available in Canada for years...... BUSTED ..... and I thought real men kept secrets for their buddies.


I still have that toilet.... just that it serves another purpose....







No comments:

Post a Comment