Total Pageviews

Monday, October 24, 2011

Points to Ponder - Hawkins/Breault - Piche/Taylor



As many of you, my readers, have witnessed I have an abundance of photos and information about my family history which includes the Breaults (Breault dit Pommeville), Piche (Pichette) and Taylors. What I don't have, strangely enough, is information about the "Hawkins" ancestry.


What I do know is that my grandfather passed away before I was born. His name was "Jack" John Hawkins and he is buried, according to my latest information, in a cemetery  somewhere around Turcott Yards and/or the Ville Marie Expressway in Montreal Quebec. A family member suggested he was buried in a paupers site which, to me, makes no sense at all since he had 8 surviving children that I can assure you would not have allowed that to happen.


The inscription above is from a book, "English Seamen of the Sixteenth Century", that has been in our family forever. As many other families here and in America there is speculation that our family descended from that of Sir John Hawkins and Sir Francis Drake. The book, itself, is the 1901 edition by James Anthony Froude and is devoted to "Hawkins and Drake". Why it is in the family possession???? I don't know.


Ahhh! A mystery I would love to solve.


What I can take solace in is that we are descendants of the founding families of Canada.

No comments:

Post a Comment