Total Pageviews

Thursday, July 19, 2012

Native Americans

As a boy in the fifties watching movies and television I knew what we, the white man, did to our indigenous peoples was wrong. I remember watching the movie of Custers last stand and crying because of a dog that was loyal to a foot soldier lay by his side, I had no sympathy for the soldier since his sole purpose was no less than the extermination of North America's indigenous people however I felt for the dog.

When I played cowboy's and Indian's I always wanted to be the Indian, their love of the land, the animals and the respect for life impressed me. They were always portrayed as being stealthily and invisible to their enemy.

When I lived in Chateauguay in my late teens early twenties I spent many a day with the Mohawks of Kanawaki. They not only were my friends but my teachers on the environment and on their view of Quebec history. If you ever sat with our indiginous people as a friend and truly were interested in their life, and were a good listener,  you would be a better person for it.

I also worked as the waiter/bouncer in the native section of the Orchard House in Ville de Lery Quebec just ourtside of Chateauguay and had gained the respect of my clients as being unbias and open minded.

The following photo's from Kerry Charves depict native American indiginous peoples. I have a deep respect and admiration for these people.....


This picture was taken in 1908 and shows a Sioux Indian. The man is wearing a unique combination of both Cowboy and Indian items. I wish I knew more about this man, and his background.
Stands and Looks Back


This picture was taken in 1900 and shows an Indian by the name of Stands and Looks Back. Indian names are intriguing, and I wonder how they got their names. One would think he had this name for a reason, so I wonder at what age Indians were named, who named them, what they could do if they did not like their name, and what they were called as children before they were named.
Three Eagles


 I love studying the character and detail in these faces. The picture today is from 1910, and shows a Nez Perce named Three Eagles. This is really a lovely picture




Today's picture shows a Shoshone Brave. The picture was taken in 1899.
This picture was taken in 1899, and shows a Shoshone Indian named Heebe-tee-tse. I do not know much about the Shoshone Indians.
Thanks Kerry.... a proud and honourable people


No comments:

Post a Comment