Total Pageviews

Thursday, November 22, 2012

Canadian Anti-fraud Centre


Last week I received a telephone call from a woman claiming to be from Microsoft.
She addressed me by my name and proceeded to explain that she needed to gain
shared access to my computer so that she could "correct serious errors" plaguing
my computer.
Of course I knew right way this was a scam but, I played along, attempting to
discredit her. She was persistent so I just hung up.
Two days later, she called me again. I simply said that I was not interested and hung up.

So, by engaging in conversation (or playing along), that does not work !
Just hanging up the telephone does not work !
Persistent bastards, aren't they ? How do we get rid of this type of scum ?

Just two days later, a man called me, again claiming to be from Microsoft. By this time,
I am really annoyed and I must put a stop to this !!
I told him that I knew exactly what he wanted to achieve and that he was attempting
to scam me and that I am going to call the Police.....click.....he hung up on me !!
I think I'm crossed off their calling list.

I did make a compliant to the Police, however, there is nothing they can do - very
difficult to track and shut-down that type of scam ??

We all know that con-artist are always luring around every corner and there is an
abundance of them out there, waiting to pounce on the innocent and venerable,
particularly the elderly.

I visited this web site: www.antifraudcentre.ca www.centreantifraude.ca
to "refresh" my knowledge of the types of scams out out and how to protect myself.
Please be alert, especially around the Christmas season !!

Thanks Joe Y

No comments:

Post a Comment