Total Pageviews

Wednesday, April 24, 2013

Twitter abuzz with light hearted jokes on terrorist arrest in Canada

It is little wonder that Canada is not taken too seriously when she makes a major arrest of suspected terrorists. The timing of the announcement itself is suspect simply by the fact that it occurred on the same day that the Conservatives had decided to push through their long awaited changes to the terrorist act.

The bill in question was first submitted in 2007 but fell by the wayside as a result of prorogation. It was reintroduced in 2012 but sat idle while the Conservatives found more pressing things to react to, like "Temporary Immigration" or "EI reform" anything but the security of Canadians took priority. But seriously folks the bill was first introduced and implemented under Jean Cretien in 2001, in response to 911, what the Conservatives are doing is adding their touch.

The changes couldn't have been that important if it got placed on the back burner until now.

Again, reacting to the Boston bombing they decide to "Fast Track" the bill and suddenly have the RCMP announce a "major" arrest, or so it would appear.

According to those in the media the announcement by the RCMP was quite wishy washy and had little true impact. The likely reason is that even the Force was surprised that they were making an arrest and an announcement since they appeared unprepared.

http://ca.news.yahoo.com/blogs/daily-buzz/social-media-cracks-jokes-canada-via-rail-terrorism-150450782.html

In support of Via Rail:

Around 2004 Via Rail requested that I do a survey of the roof on the Via station in Sarnia Ontario. Prior to going around the building taking pictures I first introduced myself to the staff and left business cards with them.

Tom, my partner at the time, and I went out and walked around the platform as we were inspecting the building I notice a fellow with a camera taking pictures, curious I took a photo of him, then approached him and asked what he was doing, after all it is not common for someone to be taking photo's of the tracks and of the building unless you are commissioned to do so, as we were.

He introduced himself as a security consultant hired by Via Rail to give them insight on protecting their properties from terrorist activity. He was an ex-CSIS spook now self employed in the security business. I have since seen him on both CTV and CBC News whenever they want expertise regarding terrorism activity.

This was 2004 and employees do get complacent as does the average citizen, personally I am suspicious of anyone who is idle sitting in a vehicle for extended periods of time, or hanging around schools and playgrounds for no apparent reason. I will either take their photo making sure they are aware I am doing it and/or approach them and ask if I can help them.

It is always better to be safe than sorry. I have done this with cars parked in front of my house on two occasions only to find out that they were PI's on surveillance, not for me I might add.

No comments:

Post a Comment