Total Pageviews

Tuesday, May 21, 2013

Comment on the Bunny in our garden

Hi Bob, your recent pic of your neighborhood little ball of fur has a sequel here in Stittsville but with a very sad--for some-- ending. We have had two of those cute creatures in our yard for the past two years with no harm done with the exception of them having done some munching on a couple of shrubs. This spring however when the snow was melting I discovered that they had eaten app 1-1/2 feet off two Mountain ash and one elm young trees that I was cultivating for my son. They had crossed the red line and so I began to search for my havahart live trap to catch them and then transport to some nether place where they could no longer dine on my saplings. Before I was able to trap any of them, my neighbour across the street, who was aware of my plans for vengeance called me to cross the street to see something. What I discovered was rabbit  fur  all over his lawn and a rabbit carcass, eviscerated and with the head missing. My neighbour told me that he had described the scene to a buddy in his Kaffee Klatch and that fellow told my neighbour that the headless bunny had been killed by a Fisher and my neighbour the next day discovered two similar carcasses. I take no pleasure from the savagery of the event but I do smile inside as I begin to plant my veggies sans fear of their being gnawed off at the roots as I tucked my live trap away. JMcC  PS I was however thoughtful enough to tell my neighbour out back that he should keep his cats(all 3) in at night because Fishers also love cat heads and I smiled again as I thought of the pleasure I would enjoy from not having to worry about his cats defecating in my garden and killing the young birds which would soon become victims of said cats. For a brief second I thought  of not warning my cat-owning neighour about the Fisher but my Christian Charity conscience won out LOL

Thanks John McC.... I know that rabbits are considered rodents and that we should not encourage them but damn John this little guy/gal was neither intimidated by me nor ready to stop eating the leaves of the rose bush because I and my neighbor were less than 4 feet from them.

No comments:

Post a Comment