Total Pageviews

Monday, January 26, 2015

Marion Vermeersch has left a new comment on your post "Conservatives: Shameless, Heartless SOB's":


 Thank you for bringing this to the attention of Canadians. I am one of those pre-1947 Lost Canadians, born to a sergeant in the Royal Canadian Artillery and his British War Bride, and arriving here in 1946. I have my mother's documents which show clearly we would be given Canadian citizenship upon arrival in Halifax. We lived in Ontario from then on, working, paying taxes and participating like any other Canadian. All of a sudden my brother(a Canadian Navy veteran himself) and I found our citizenship was stripped - no warning, notice or way to appeal - in 2003-4. I soon learned we had plenty of company - thousands of Lost Canadians. I have been told that my father could not have been a Canadian citizen, he was not domiciled within Canada during WWII so therefore I have no right to it either.

Yes, I would like my citizenship back - I have never been to England where I was born during the war. But more than that, I really want my Dad (am glad he never knew this happened) recognized as the Canadian he was: he worked hard all his life for them, and fought hard during the war, as did all those other veterans of all those wars. How absolutely disgraceful this is that, today, we have a government that makes fancy speeches to honour them at ceremonies but, otherwise, they claim there were no Canadian veterans prior to 1947!


Marion Vermeersch

Thank you Marion, It is always nice to know that I am not talking to the wind when I post on my blog. Your plight and that of your father is of great concern to many Canadians and should be of concern to all, if a government can make that distinction as they did for your father then we should all stand up and shout "enough" at the top of our lungs.

I have taken the liberty of poting your comment to me on the blog and on CRUSH (Canadians Rallying to Unseat Stephen Harper) a proactive FB group concerned with your position as well as that of all Canadians with this governments rhetoric and inaction.

I truly hope that you see this injustice rectified in the very near future.

No comments:

Post a Comment